Saturday, December 12, 2009

High points of the last week

This is the end of my first week in Guadalajara. Here are the high points:

1. Last night I went to the opening of Susana's uncle's new gay club, Velvet. It was fun, though not my scene (something about being straight). We also went to Circus, one of his other gay clubs. It was far more grungy, and a lot more my style.

2. Today, I was making some gnocci and prawns, which required rosemary and basil. Susana's mother is basically a disinfecting machine (apparently it's a common Mexican trait). She scrubbed and disinfected the rosemary and basil. There is no chance of me picking up any bugs here.

3. I went with Chewy, Susana's brother, to the wholesale markets. These markets put Melbourne's to shame. There are stores which sell nothing but onions, by the tonne. Others sell just piƱatas. A fantastic experience.

4. We bought some wedding rings.

5. Books started this week:

Boswell: life of Samuel Johnson

Dambisa Moyo: Dead Aid

Gareth Evans: Responsibility to Protect

Freakonomics (Thanks, Dean!)

And I've finally hit the second half of David Kilcullen's The Accidental Guerilla. I will write a review of it next week.

1 comment:

Elyse said...

Having just finished freakonomics (bit late, I know) - I thought I should tell you it is exactly the sort of book I imagine you writing sometime.